Greek English
 
Home Page / What to know / Relegious Life / Church of Panagia Kazaviotissa
Print this page
Church of Panagia Kazaviotissa

Located in the centre of the village is the main church dedicated to Panagia. It is a stony, single-aisled church with a wooden roof which is protected by the Department of Antiquities as a Type B’ Monument. It was built in 1800 but unfortunately it is not known when the inauguration ceremony was held because the old Altar Stone, on which the relevant date was noted, was replaced. The church is 16 metres long and 5.5 metres wide. Inside the church there is a humble wooden iconostasis.   

The church of Panagia was constructed on the foundations of an older church which had been ruined at an unknown past time. The only remain of the old church was an icon of Panagia. What is noteworthy is that the church used to be part of a monastery which was destroyed in the 18th century.

 
 December 2017

MTWTFSS
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031
 
 
CONTACT US
COMMUNITY COUNCIL OF KANNAVIA
2834, Kannavia Lefkosia
Τel: 22922377
Fax: 22922600
E-mail: kskannavia@hotmail.com
Designed & Developed by NETinfo Plc