Greek English
 
Home Page / What to know / History
Print this page
History

Kannavia is one of the most beautiful villages of the Nicosia district. It is located on the northern slopes of the Troodos mountain range, in the Elia valley and more specifically at a distance of 52 km southwest of the capital city. 

While strolling around the village, one encounters houses of modern and traditional architecture, country residences, as well as a campsite, whereas they are also given the opportunity to admire images dominated by the green colour of the forest. More: Natural Environment

Historical background

The village appears to have existed ever since the Frankish occupation. In fact, it is mentioned by Mas Latrie as a royal estate. Additionally, the village is marked on old maps under the naming Canania.

Naming

The name of the village is linked to a plant called “kannavin” which, according to the Great Cyprus Encyclopaedia, used to be cultivated quite extensively in the village. What is also noteworthy is that in Greek-Cypriot dialect the village is called “Kannavkia”.  

Population

The population of Kannavia has remained stable over the past few years. Theresidentshavemanagedtofindareas of employment within the village. More specifically, some of them work in local factories and at the nearby forest, while others in the capital city of Nicosia. Presented below is the populating course of Kannavia over the years:

Year Number of Residents Year Number of Residents
1881 36 1946 198
1891 43 1960 223
1901 65 1973 222
1911 105 1976 317
1921 85 1982 219
1931 125 2001 186

Sources:

GiorgosKarouzis, Strolling around Cyprus, Nicosia, City and District, Nicosia 2001

Great Cyprus Encyclopaedia, vol.6, Philokypros Publications, Nicosia 1987

 
 November 2018

MTWTFSS
 1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
2627282930 
 
 
CONTACT US
COMMUNITY COUNCIL OF KANNAVIA
2834, Kannavia Lefkosia
Τel: 22922377
Fax: 22922600
E-mail: kskannavia@hotmail.com
Designed & Developed by NETinfo Plc